Menu

Summer 2009

28 of us from 11 schools and colleges across London took part in the project; most of us didn’t know each other before but we worked pretty well together on all the different projects. We included students at:

• City and Islington College
  • College of North West London
  • Enfield County School
  • Eastbury Comprehensive School
  • Gunnersbury Catholic School
  • Harrow College
  • Richmond upon Thames College
  • St Charles Sixth Form College
  • Sir George Monoux College
  • Sir John Cass Sixth Form
  • Westminster Kingsway College

Students

• Asean
    • Asean is studying for a BTEC in graphic design and has just completed his first year. “I’ve enjoyed learning varied techniques on the course, like typography and poster design, but I really like animation, which I would like to continue with next year. The Animating Art History project has taught me a lot of new skills, particularly Stop Frame Animation.”
  • Aygul
    • Taking part in the Animating art history course has really broadened my interests for my future because I have learned new skills on the computer and also with art history. I have thought about how to develop an old piece of artwork for a more contemporary setting, and this would be interesting for a more wider public. So far I have no regrets because all that I have learned will very much come in handy when I get older. I have definitely started going to more museums and galleries because art history is a very important and necessary subject, so learning more about the past is important for the future ahead.
  • Carl
    • I’m Carl and I’m currently studying for a BTEC in graphic design, for which I’ve just finished the first year. It has been inspiring to work with the University of the Arts, London. I’ve learnt more about Photoshop and After Effects during the course and hope to be able to use these next year.
  • Claudia
    • I’m Claudia and I’m 16. I’m studying art, textiles, media, and French as A Levels. As you can see, my interests are very much focused on the creative arts. However, my A Level choices have not given me the chance to extend my skills into the art of animation and art history. This course has therefore been very helpful in widening my knowledge and appreciation for these areas. I’ve learnt methods of researching the history of art, and realised that you can never judge a piece just by its aesthetics – first, you have to understand the influences and interests of the artist. It’s also been interesting to experiment with techniques in the light of the artists we studied. Working with small groups enabled ideas to blossom, and allowed me to learn from others.
  • Duane
    • Duane has just finished a two year BTEC National Diploma in Media, and is now moving to university to do computer animation. He particularly likes traditional drawn animation and Cel-Animation, in which you start with a drawn subject and then colour it with different layers. In the Animating Art History project, he really enjoyed discovering how to use the Rostrum Camera, and also After Effects. It was a great opportunity to expand his creativity.
  • Elisa
  • Gurpreet
    • Hi! I have recently just finished Sixth Form doing Art, Media and Photography A Levels. I like to take part in creative and practical things such as DIY, creating random images using Photoshop and mainly art which I want to take further by doing an Art Media Design Foundation course and go on to do a degree in Art Media and Design and aspire to become an illustrator/animator which will hopefully make me rich and famous. Taking part in the Animating Art History course has alerted me on the kind of software I may use in the future at University and its been an awesome experience. I have had a great opportunity at looking at original artist sketches and I have also met many personalities that I have enjoyed meeting and working with.
  • Jaime
  • Jason
  • Jessica
  • Kelsey
    • I have just finished studying for A-Levels at Sixth Form, which were Photography, Media and English Literature. It is from here that I have gained an interest in photography and media, which inspired me to apply for the course. I have been able to learn new skills from programmes such as After Effects and Final Cut Pro, which I had previously never used before. But I have also been able to improve my existing skills within Photoshop. I have enjoyed the course due to its range of activities we have been involved with, especially visiting the Print and Drawing room at the Courtauld, as well as taking photographs based on Marysa Dowling’s Blue bag project, and the architecture at Somerset House.
  • Kelvin
    • I am Kelvin. I have finished my A-Levels, graphic design, media studies and performing arts in college. I am hoping for an A in graphics design. I’m going to Central Saint Martin’s this September to do a foundation course. At the end of the foundation course I will stay for the BA degree. I am still developing my portfolio from college in preparation for next year. In this project I have learnt how to use the flash player and how to create characters for a story. I have learnt how to interpret paintings.
  • Laurence
    • Laurence is doing a BTEC National Diploma in Art at Mounox College, and has just completed his first year. He got a double distinction in BTEC First Art. He is looking to do a foundation art course after finishing at college. With a strong interest in animation, he has really enjoyed Animating Art History, in particular the bag project, and learning how to use After Effects.
  • Mahbubur
  • Masum
  • Megan
    • Taking part in this course has really helped me decide what I want to do later on as a career. I have gained new skills using different programs on the computer and I have learned more in art history. I have really enjoyed this course and especially when the photographer Marysa Dowling came in and showed us some of her work. Viewing her work was really interesting and helped me a lot as I want to become a photographer in the future. The Art History side of this course has interested me more, even though I learnt about it in college it never really interested me, but it has been fun learning about it here.
  • Michael
  • Miles
  • Moses
  • Nazmul
  • Rob
  • Roxi
    • The Animating art history course has been a great opportunity from which I have developed many new skills within animation and picture analysis. I am currently a student at Sir George Monoux studying Art as a B-TECH along with 3 A-Levels in Biology Chemistry and Sociology. My passion for art influences everything I do and I try to use this creativity in my studies in science. Further I look to study forensics and later follow into an art degree. Maryssa Dowling has been a remarkable inspiration since the start of the course and I am amazed to have discovered that she initial wanted to follow the same path as me.
  • Ruben
    • I am an avid designer focussing on digital mediums. From this course I have grasped understanding of software, which I believe will become vital in my future. This is because I believe myself to be walking the path as an animator in order to succeed in my idols of Japanese animation, which I believe to be the epitome of entertainment, and want to be also part of this movement.
  • Shaun
    • I am Shaun. I have finished my A-Levels, graphic design, media studies and performing arts in college. I am hoping for an A in graphics design. I’m going to Central Saint Martin’s this September to do a foundation course. At the end of the foundation course I will stay for the BA degree. I am still developing my portfolio from college in preparation for next year. In this project I have learnt how to use the flash player and how to create characters for a story. I have learnt how to interpret paintings.
  • Shazad
    • My name is Shazad and I am 19 and I wish to pursue a career in Photography and Media Arts. I have currently just finished a course at Westminster Kingsway College; the course I was studying was a Btec in Art and Design Photography and Digital Media. I now plan to take a gap year before moving on to the University of Creative Arts to study a BA Honours Course in Photography and Media Arts. In my gap year I will be teaching Photography and Animation at The Lammas School and possibly doing an internship with a film studio. I will then end my year with a trip to Africa with a charity to do some aid work.
  • Sterling